Gaumukh Tapovan Trek Overview
Gaumukh Tapovan Trek is the snout of the Gangotri glacier and the source of the Bhagirathi River, one of the prime headstream of river Ganga. Situated at an altitude of 4023 metres in Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand, it is one of the largest glacier in the Himalayas. The trail to Gaumukh is 18 km long and begins from Gangotri, a small town located on the banks of Bhagirathi river. According to a popular legend, It was here that Goddess Ganga descended when Lord Shiva released the mighty river from the locks of his hair.
- Region :- Uttarakhand ( uttarkashi)
- Duration :- 5Night/6Day
- Grade :- moderate
- Max Altitude :- 14,700feet
- Best Season :- Sept – Oct.
- Food: Meals while on trek (Veg + egg.)
- Stay :- Guest house/Home stay/Camping
- Starting point:- dehradun to dehradun
Things To carry on Trek (Basics Gears)
- Backpack & Rain Cover (40-60 Liters)
- Trekking Shoes
- LED Torch
- One Water Bottle (one litre)
- Basic Medications (or prescribed if any)
- Trekking Jacket
- Three (Five in winter) Warm Layers
- Two trek pants (one Wear and one carry)
- Two collared t-shirts
- Extra Pair of Clothes
- woolen sweater
- Sunscreens Lotion (SPF 50/70)
- Lip Balm (SPF 30)
- Sun cap/Normal Cap
- Synthetic hand gloves
- Five pair of Socks
- Plastic cover (for wet clothes)
Short Itinerary of Gaumukh Tapovan Trek
- Day 1: Dehradun to Dharali/Gangotri
- Day 02: Dharali/Gangotri to Chirbasa Via Gangotri,
- Day 3: Chirbasa to Bhojbasa 6 Km Trek
- Day 4: Bhojbasa to Tapovan and Back, 12 Km trek
- Day 5: Bhojbasa to Gangotri/Dharali and Back
- Day 6: Dharali/Gangotri to Dehradun
Day 1 -Dehradun to Dharali/Gangotri
- Our Journey will start from Dehradun at 7:00 a.m. in the morning. Dehradun is well connected with Delhi and overnight buses and Volvo’s are available.
- During the 280 km long Drive one will come across Various beautiful sites like maneri waterfalls and the change in terrain as you reach near Dharali is worth a site
- Reach Dharali by Evening. Check in at the Hotel followed by rest.
- A quick introduction with team and fellow travelers at Guest House/Hotel at Dharali followed by the Dinner.
Day 2: Sankri to taluka drive, Taluka to Cheludgad
- 15 Km Drive and 8 Km Trek, Approx. 6 Hours Trek
- After an Early Breakfast the Team will head towards the Gangotri temple, Get a dip in the Bhagirathi river and go to the Mandir Darshan for seeking the Blessing for the Trek ( if time Permits )
- Today’s trek is easy with a steep ascend when you start and a gradual ascend later
- Reach camp site around lunch
- Chirbasa campsite is very picturesque with view of the Bhagirathi peaks through dense pine trek
- Acclimatization walk in evening
- Dinner at the Campsite
Day 3: Chirbasa to Bhojbasa 6 Km Trek
- Breakfast at Chirbasa Camp site
- Start trek after breakfast
- Reach bhojbasa by lunch
- Spend time acclimitizing at Bhojbasa
- Dinner and Rest at camp Site
Day 4: Bhojbasa to Tapovan and Back, 12 Km trek
- Today it is going to be a little strenuous, Trek to Gaumukh and witness the origin of one of the largest rivers of India
- Trek further up to Tapovan
- Once can find peaks like Shivling and Bhagirathi at an arms distance from Tapovan
- Move back to Bhojbasa Camp after packed lunch
Day 5: Bhojbasa to Gangotri/Dharali and Back
- Trek down 14 Kms from Bhojbasa to Gangotri
- Packed lunch for the day
- Rest in Hotel
Day 6: Dharali/Gangotri to Dehradun
280 Km Drive, Approx. 9:30 Hours
After Breakfast, Check Out from Hotel
Drive to Dehradun
Arrival at Dehradun around 8:00 PM
- Stay :- Guest house, camping Tents accommodation (3 sharing Basis)
- Activity :- Trekking Games camping Bonfire with music at Basecamp
- Leaders & Guide :- Expert Trek Leader ,Guided and Supporting local team.
- Food :- Meals while on trek veg. Morning evening tea ,Snacks.
- Treking Equipments during the trek:- (Sleeping bags, Inner,Mattress, Kitchen tents, Dining tents toilet tents,Gatters, crampons)
- First Aid medical kits.
- All necessary forest permits camping charges.
- Transport:- we arrange shared taxis for trekkers from Kathgodam to lohajung and drop you back from lohajung .
Parsonal booking 7000/way max, bolero, eartica …and TT 9500/way
- Any kind of personal Expenses.(snacks mineral water etc.)
- Food During the transit.
- Last day breakfast not included.
- Any kind of Insurance.
- If u wish to offloding your bagpack you can give it to potter/mules.(Charges 300/bag/day).
- Unscheduled or extended stay due to road blocks…..
The cancellation policy is based on the original booking time and original start date of the trek.
- Cancel before 30 days of trek start date and get full refund after deduction of 1.99% payment processing fee.
- Cancel before 15 days of trek start date and get refund after deduction of 20% of total trek fee.
- Cancel before 10 days of trek start date and get refund after deduction of 40% of total trek fee.
- Cancel before 5 days of trek start date and get refund after deduction of 60% of total trek fee.
- Trek fee is non-refundable if you cancel within 4 days before trek start date.